Skip to main content
NTv Online

Sports

Sports
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Other sports
  • Tennis
  • Bangla Version
  • Archive
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Comment
  • Education
  • Life
  • Health
  • Art & Culture
  • Election
  • বাংলা
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Comment
  • Education
  • Life
  • Health
  • Art & Culture
  • Election
  • বাংলা
  • Bangla Version
  • Archive
Follow
  • Sports
AFP
13 December, 2016, 11:32
Update: 13 December, 2016, 11:32
More News
Rajshahi romp to BBPL title crushing Khulna
Tigers to tour Pakistan in three phases to play full series
Bangladesh women clinch gold medal
Bangladesh bat first in historic day-night Test against India
ICC bans Shakib from all forms of cricket for 2 years

First day-night Ashes Test set for Adelaide

AFP
13 December, 2016, 11:32
Update: 13 December, 2016, 11:32

Sydney: Australia will host England at the Adelaide Oval in the first day-night Ashes Test during the 2017-18 series, building on the success of the concept despite lingering concerns.

The series between the arch-rivals opens at the Gabba in Brisbane from November 23 before heading to Adelaide then Perth. Melbourne hosts the traditional Boxing Day Test with Sydney rounding it off, Cricket Australia announced Tuesday.

This is followed by five one-day internationals between January 14-28 before a Twenty20 tri-series also involving New Zealand, to be played on both side of the Tasman.

Adelaide hosted the first-ever Test under lights using a pink ball last year and it was a roaring success, with record attendances for the clash against New Zealand.

Buoyed by the public reaction, the same venue was used for a day-night Test against South Africa last month, while Australia face Pakistan under lights in the first Test at Brisbane this week.

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said Adelaide fans loved Test cricket under the stars and he expected a full house next year.

‘I know there are some people who don’t the view the day-night Test match as something that’s needed for Ashes cricket,’ Sutherland said.

‘But we think there is going to be more day-night cricket coming up and the success of Adelaide in the last two matches is there for all to see.’

Australian captain Steve Smith and his England counterpart Alastair Cook both suggested earlier this year that the Ashes should remain a traditional red-ball affair.

Smith has since changed his tune after this year’s day-night Test against the Proteas.

While the Gabba has long been the first Test on the Australian summer calendar, it lost that right to Perth this year.

Sutherland said Perth had been pushed back to mid-December for the Ashes to give it more time to complete construction of the new 60,000-seat Perth Stadium. If it is not ready, the match will revert to the WACA Ground.

‘We’re very comfortable with the traditional order, and let’s be honest, this venue is a real stronghold for the Australian team,’ he said of the Gabba.

Sutherland added that given the slightly later-than-usual start to the series, the schedule allowed for at least three Sheffield Shield matches to be played before the Brisbane opener as preparation.

A lack of Shield cricket was one of the reasons blamed for Australia suffering a run of five heavy Test defeats this year, before a new-look side ended the slump by beating South Africa last month.

 

Schedule for the 2017-18 Ashes series

First Test - November 23-27 at the Gabba in Brisbane

Second Test – December 2-6, Adelaide Oval (day-night)

Third Test – December 14-18, Perth (venue TBC)

Fourth Test – December 26-30, Melbourne Cricket Ground

Fifth Test – January 4-8, Sydney Cricket Ground

 

Australia v England one-day series (2018)

First ODI – January 14, Melbourne Cricket Ground

Second ODI – January 19, the Gabba in Brisbane

Third ODI – January 21, Sydney Cricket Ground

Fourth ODI – January 26, Adelaide Oval

Fifth ODI – January 28, Perth (venue TBC)

Most Read
  1. Get all sports-related updates under one umbrella
  2. History-maker SAFF Champions now role models for hundreds of girls
  3. Most Japan firms say Games should be cancelled or postponed
  4. Country's football legend Badal Roy passes away
  5. Corona curbs cricketing clash, creates concern
  6. Thank you captain, tigers win series
Most Read
  1. Get all sports-related updates under one umbrella
  2. History-maker SAFF Champions now role models for hundreds of girls
  3. Most Japan firms say Games should be cancelled or postponed
  4. Country's football legend Badal Roy passes away
  5. Corona curbs cricketing clash, creates concern
  6. Thank you captain, tigers win series

Follow Us

Alhaj Mohammad Mosaddak Ali

Chairman & Managing Director

NTV Online, BSEC Building (Level-8), 102 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215 Telephone: +880255012281 up to 5, Fax: +880255012286 up to 7

Browse by Category

  • About NTV
  • NTV Programmes
  • Advertisement
  • Web Mail
  • NTV FTV
  • Satellite Downlink
  • Europe Subscription
  • USA Subscription
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact

Our Newsletter

To stay on top of the ever-changing world of business, subscribe now to our newsletters.

* We hate spam as much as you do

Alhaj Mohammad Mosaddak Ali

Chairman & Managing Director

NTV Online, BSEC Building (Level-8), 102 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215 Telephone: +880255012281 up to 5, Fax: +880255012286 up to 7

Reproduction of any content, news or article published on this website is strictly prohibited. All rights reserved