Skip to main content
NTv Online

Sports

Sports
  • Cricket
  • Football
  • Other sports
  • Tennis
  • Bangla Version
  • Archive
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Comment
  • Education
  • Life
  • Health
  • Art & Culture
  • Election
  • বাংলা
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Comment
  • Education
  • Life
  • Health
  • Art & Culture
  • Election
  • বাংলা
  • Bangla Version
  • Archive
Follow
  • Sports
AFP
28 May, 2017, 20:52
Update: 28 May, 2017, 20:52
More News
Rajshahi romp to BBPL title crushing Khulna
Tigers to tour Pakistan in three phases to play full series
Bangladesh women clinch gold medal
Bangladesh bat first in historic day-night Test against India
ICC bans Shakib from all forms of cricket for 2 years
Preview

India out 'to enjoy' Champions Trophy after money row

AFP
28 May, 2017, 20:52
Update: 28 May, 2017, 20:52

New Delhi, India: Virat Kohli says India will go out "to enjoy" their cricket as they aim to defend their Champions Trophy crown against the backdrop of a row over money with the international board.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) backed out of a threat to boycott the 50-over tournament in a revenue-sharing dispute with the International Cricket Council (ICC). 

But they only named a squad two weeks after the original deadline for the tournament which starts on June 1. 

Kohli said the team were determined to keep their hunger for success.

"The hunger to win and ruthlessness is what we speak about all the time," Kohli told reporters before India left for England.

"The first challenge is to not think about that you are defending the title. When we went out there the last time we just wanted to enjoy," said Kohli. 

"We were a young unit. We ended up winning the tournament and creating a team which has done so well so far."

The BCCI are angry at the new ICC revenue model agreed last month that reduced the powers of cricket's "Big Three" -- Australia, England and India. 

The BCCI believes it will lose $277 million in revenue over the next eight years.

Former India captain Kapil Dev said he hoped the row would not affect performances on the field.

"I hope all this talk doesn't impact the players. But today, media putting so much focus on everything it must be having some effect on them when they read and see the news," Kapil, the 1983 World Cup winning captain, said.

"As a sportsman I just want to be bothered about cricket on the field. 

"Whatever happens otherwise, let the administrators take care of that," the legendary all-rounder said.

The BBCI are seeking a better deal before the ICC ratifies the new structure at its annual conference next month.

"See, we are just trying to get the board its rightful share," a senior board official told AFP on condition of anonymity. "But trust me the revenue matter had nothing to do with the Champions Trophy.

"We work for the best interest of the players and our wishes are with them to defend the title and play the brand of cricket that they have been playing."

India, who beat England in the 2013 Champions Trophy final, are on a roll, winning 10 of the 13 Tests played against New Zealand, England, Bangladesh and Australia in a marathon home season.

The side also won their three-match one-day series against England 2-1 and most of their players have just been involved in the high-octane Indian Premier League Twenty20 tournament.

India are in Group B along with South Africa and Sri Lanka and start their campaign with a mouth-watering clash against fierce rivals Pakistan at Edgbaston, Birmingham, on June 4.

Most Read
  1. Get all sports-related updates under one umbrella
  2. History-maker SAFF Champions now role models for hundreds of girls
  3. Most Japan firms say Games should be cancelled or postponed
  4. Country's football legend Badal Roy passes away
  5. Corona curbs cricketing clash, creates concern
  6. Thank you captain, tigers win series
Most Read
  1. Get all sports-related updates under one umbrella
  2. History-maker SAFF Champions now role models for hundreds of girls
  3. Most Japan firms say Games should be cancelled or postponed
  4. Country's football legend Badal Roy passes away
  5. Corona curbs cricketing clash, creates concern
  6. Thank you captain, tigers win series

Follow Us

Alhaj Mohammad Mosaddak Ali

Chairman & Managing Director

NTV Online, BSEC Building (Level-8), 102 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215 Telephone: +880255012281 up to 5, Fax: +880255012286 up to 7

Browse by Category

  • About NTV
  • NTV Programmes
  • Advertisement
  • Web Mail
  • NTV FTV
  • Satellite Downlink
  • Europe Subscription
  • USA Subscription
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact

Our Newsletter

To stay on top of the ever-changing world of business, subscribe now to our newsletters.

* We hate spam as much as you do

Alhaj Mohammad Mosaddak Ali

Chairman & Managing Director

NTV Online, BSEC Building (Level-8), 102 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215 Telephone: +880255012281 up to 5, Fax: +880255012286 up to 7

Reproduction of any content, news or article published on this website is strictly prohibited. All rights reserved