Skip to main content
NTv Online

World

World
  • Africa
  • Americas
  • Asia Pacific
  • Europe
  • Mid East
  • More
  • Offbeat
  • South & Central Asia
  • Viral
  • Bangla Version
  • Archive
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Comment
  • Education
  • Life
  • Health
  • Art & Culture
  • Election
  • বাংলা
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Comment
  • Education
  • Life
  • Health
  • Art & Culture
  • Election
  • বাংলা
  • Bangla Version
  • Archive
Follow
  • World
IANS
10 September, 2016, 17:07
Update: 10 September, 2016, 17:07
More News
Coronavirus: Bangladeshi doctor in China donates face masks
N.Korea warns US could 'pay dearly' for human rights criticism
Pervez Musharraf sentenced to death for treason
Devastating fire kills at least 43 in Indian capital
Indian court rules in favour of Hindu temple on disputed land

Two killed in fresh Kashmir clashes

IANS
10 September, 2016, 17:07
Update: 10 September, 2016, 17:07
Kashmiri protestors clash with Indian government forces during a protest against civilian killings in Kashmir’s ongoing summer unrest, in Srinagar on 9 September 2016. Photo: AFP

Srinagar: Two men were killed in fresh clashes with security forces on Saturday in the Kashmir Valley that remained shut for the 64th day.

Police said the deaths occurred in two south Kashmir villages where hundreds took out demonstrations defying restrictions on the assembly of four or more people.

Security forces fired tear gas canisters, pellets and cane charged the protesters, several of whom were injured in Tukroo village of Shopian and Botengoo village of Anantnag, police said.

The deceased were identified as Sayar Ahmed Sheikh, 25, and Yawar Ahmed, 23.

Sheikh, according to police, was hit on the head by a flying tear gas shell. The Shopian man was removed to a hospital where he was declared brought dead, a police spokesperson said.

Ahmed, according to health officials, received pellet injuries in his chest and abdomen during a clash. He was also declared dead on the arrival at an Anantnag hospital.

With this, the death toll rose to 78 in the ongoing turmoil that has rocked the Kashmir Valley since the July 8 killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.

Over 12,000 civilians and security personnel have been injured in the unrest that began a day after Wani’s killing.

The valley has been observing a separatist-called shutdown for over two months.

The fresh violence came as hundreds of soldiers had started moving towards south Kashmir—the worst hit region in the unending cycle of violence—to help the civil administration re-establish authority in the valley.

The sources said the army had suspended its anti-militancy operations in the south for over two months because of the street unrest.

The fresh deployment of soldiers is to resume the counter-terrorism operations, the sources said. They said the army had been told not to get into mob control unless it came under attack by stone-throwing protesters.

Army Chief General Dalbir Singh is presently on a two-day visit to the Kashmir Valley. The sources said the chief’s visit has been timed with the decision to move the army to the southern region.

On Saturday, curfew continued at many places in the valley to foil separatist-called protest rallies.

But people at various places, including in Srinagar, took out rallies, shouting anti-government and pro-freedom slogans.

Most Read
  1. WHO site shows how they refuse to acknowledge scientific evidence on vaping
  2. Tholos Foundation urges Bangladesh govt not to ban e-cigarettes
  3. India bans service charge at hotels and restaurants
  4. Bangladesh and Australia working towards key trade partners
  5. Bigger and better Mother Language Day Walk
  6. Islamic State loses second leader in two years
Most Read
  1. WHO site shows how they refuse to acknowledge scientific evidence on vaping
  2. Tholos Foundation urges Bangladesh govt not to ban e-cigarettes
  3. India bans service charge at hotels and restaurants
  4. Bangladesh and Australia working towards key trade partners
  5. Bigger and better Mother Language Day Walk
  6. Islamic State loses second leader in two years

Follow Us

Alhaj Mohammad Mosaddak Ali

Chairman & Managing Director

NTV Online, BSEC Building (Level-8), 102 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215 Telephone: +880255012281 up to 5, Fax: +880255012286 up to 7

Browse by Category

  • About NTV
  • NTV Programmes
  • Advertisement
  • Web Mail
  • NTV FTV
  • Satellite Downlink
  • Europe Subscription
  • USA Subscription
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact

Our Newsletter

To stay on top of the ever-changing world of business, subscribe now to our newsletters.

* We hate spam as much as you do

Alhaj Mohammad Mosaddak Ali

Chairman & Managing Director

NTV Online, BSEC Building (Level-8), 102 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215 Telephone: +880255012281 up to 5, Fax: +880255012286 up to 7

Reproduction of any content, news or article published on this website is strictly prohibited. All rights reserved