Skip to main content
NTv Online

World

World
  • Africa
  • Americas
  • Asia Pacific
  • Europe
  • Mid East
  • More
  • Offbeat
  • South & Central Asia
  • Viral
  • Bangla Version
  • Archive
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Comment
  • Education
  • Life
  • Health
  • Art & Culture
  • Election
  • বাংলা
  • Bangladesh
  • World
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
  • Business
  • Comment
  • Education
  • Life
  • Health
  • Art & Culture
  • Election
  • বাংলা
  • Bangla Version
  • Archive
Follow
  • World
AFP
10 March, 2017, 19:26
Update: 10 March, 2017, 19:26
More News
Coronavirus: Bangladeshi doctor in China donates face masks
N.Korea warns US could 'pay dearly' for human rights criticism
Pervez Musharraf sentenced to death for treason
Devastating fire kills at least 43 in Indian capital
Indian court rules in favour of Hindu temple on disputed land

Maruti Suzuki workers convicted over death at Indian factory riot

AFP
10 March, 2017, 19:26
Update: 10 March, 2017, 19:26

New Delhi, India: An Indian court convicted 31 workers Friday over an outburst of deadly violence at a car plant in 2012, including 13 for murder, during one of the country's worst episodes of labour unrest.

The court cleared 117 accused who were also facing charges of murder, arson and rioting after hundreds of workers clashed with managers over wages and appointments at the Maruti Suzuki factory in Manesar.

The hearing in Gurgaon, on the outskirts of New Delhi, found 13 workers guilty of murdering Awanish Kumar Dev, whose charred body was found in the remains of a building following the riots in July 2012.

Dev, who was a human resources manager, died after he failed to escape a blaze which was started by workers who went on the rampage in Manesar, which is around two hours' drive southwest of the capital. 

The additional sessions court ruled that 18 others were guilty of rioting, arson and damaging property and will announce the sentences on March 17.

A lawyer for those found guilty on Friday immediately announced plans to appeal against the convictions.

"We will challenge the conviction in a higher court," Monu Kuhar, part of the defence team, told AFP.

- Protests threat -

Hundreds of policemen in riot gear were deployed at the court and outside automakers offices' over threats by workers to mobilise large-scale protests if their colleagues "did not get justice". 

On Thursday, thousands of workers staged a brief work stoppage at Maruti and other auto companies' offices to express solidarity with the accused. 

Prosecutors told the court that the attack was the result of a conspiracy by workers, who were at loggerheads with the management over wages and plans to set up a union at the workplace. 

The plant, which manufactures nearly 700,000 cars annually, was shut for 60 days prior to the deadly violence. 

Investigators said more than a thousand workers had charged at the administration block and attacked the officials with iron rods and car parts such as axles at the plant.

They beat up officers, including Dev, breaking his limbs leaving him immobile and leaving him unable to flee the flames.    

More than 100 other managers were injured in the day-long violence that shut the plant for over a month.

But union leaders claim it was triggered by an argument between a supervisor and a casual employee, who was abused over his caste.

Maruti Suzuki, a subsidiary of Japanese automobile major Suzuki, has a market share of 51 percent in India.

Workplace violence is not uncommon in India, where workers are often locked in conflict with the management over wages and hostile working conditions, but it is rare for major corporates to be targeted.

Labour unions frequently accuse management of hiring cheap labour through short-term contracts which makes it easier for firms to dismiss workers.

Last year a court in Tamil Nadu sentenced eight workers to life imprisonment over the lynching of a senior manager in violence sparked by the dismissal of 42 workers at an automobile spare parts factory.    

In June 2014, around 200 workers bludgeoned to death the owner of a jute firm in West Bengal with iron rods and stones after the management of the loss-making company increased their working hours.

Most Read
  1. WHO site shows how they refuse to acknowledge scientific evidence on vaping
  2. Tholos Foundation urges Bangladesh govt not to ban e-cigarettes
  3. India bans service charge at hotels and restaurants
  4. Bangladesh and Australia working towards key trade partners
  5. Bigger and better Mother Language Day Walk
  6. Islamic State loses second leader in two years
Most Read
  1. WHO site shows how they refuse to acknowledge scientific evidence on vaping
  2. Tholos Foundation urges Bangladesh govt not to ban e-cigarettes
  3. India bans service charge at hotels and restaurants
  4. Bangladesh and Australia working towards key trade partners
  5. Bigger and better Mother Language Day Walk
  6. Islamic State loses second leader in two years

Follow Us

Alhaj Mohammad Mosaddak Ali

Chairman & Managing Director

NTV Online, BSEC Building (Level-8), 102 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215 Telephone: +880255012281 up to 5, Fax: +880255012286 up to 7

Browse by Category

  • About NTV
  • NTV Programmes
  • Advertisement
  • Web Mail
  • NTV FTV
  • Satellite Downlink
  • Europe Subscription
  • USA Subscription
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Contact

Our Newsletter

To stay on top of the ever-changing world of business, subscribe now to our newsletters.

* We hate spam as much as you do

Alhaj Mohammad Mosaddak Ali

Chairman & Managing Director

NTV Online, BSEC Building (Level-8), 102 Kazi Nazrul Islam Avenue, Karwan Bazar, Dhaka-1215 Telephone: +880255012281 up to 5, Fax: +880255012286 up to 7

Reproduction of any content, news or article published on this website is strictly prohibited. All rights reserved